Friday, September 16, 2011

Harvest Time!

I bet you thought this would be a post about tomatoes and lettuce.
Nope! It's about marigolds and lettuce!

Now is the time to let some of that lettuce and coriander go to seed so you can harvest the seeds. If you received the heirloom marigold seeds 'free with purchase' this spring then you are in luck! I've been impatiently watching the marigolds through the summer so I could grab their seeds. I was able to get thousands (guess what you're getting for Christmas) so I'm already feeling hungry for spring planting. These are direct sow... Some of my marigolds re-seeded themselves and new ones are coming up now. It's likely they will not enjoy the cold that comes soon.

Now, if you do want those tomato seeds you'll need to let the tomato ripen and then decompose. Yes, really. The acid in the tomato will dissolve an outer coating on the tomato making it possible to germinate. Growing tomatoes from seed is only for the bravest souls. I am probably not that person.

Happy Harvesting!
Holly McHugh
503.816.5500

No comments:

Post a Comment